Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Saturday, January 15, 2011

365 Days of Inspiration

Today I start my first blog post to find others like me who believe in just doing the right thing.  The photo was was taken in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and the floral arrangement was made by the birth mother of my first daughter, Jula.  Let me explain.  I have 2 sons and never had the fortune of having a daughter.  I instead "borrowed one" from Germany for a year.  I also borrowed a son from Brazil....Felipe.  At the end of their foreign exchange, we were blessed with the fortune to meet Jula's parents (Birgit & Michael) and Felipe's mother (Alessandra) and we all vacationed in the mountains.  What beautiful views the mountains displayed for our visitors from Germany and Brazil.  Birgit and I had walked that morning and she collected different parts of nature that ended up in this photo on the porch. 

The first thing we did right listed in this blog is opened our home to a child from another country.  To have the privilege to share our home with young adults was beyond what we would have imagined.  One of the many things we did was taken them to Washington DC.  At close to 50, I had never been there as an American.  We found out that many Americans have not been to our capitol.  As we toured the monuments we came upon sayings that our founding father wrote centuries ago that are so profound, they are pertinent today....The one that caught my eye was from Thomas Jefferson....I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions.  But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind as that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truth discovered, and manners and opinions change. With the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as a civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.  What coat are you wearing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment