Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 15 - The Front Porch

There is a daughter and father company that just started in the area called Front Porch Pickins'. It is a company that contracts with local farmers and every other week brings fresh produce to your doorstep.  How good is that?  I got my first delivery last night and I love it!  For twenty dollars I received FRESH: 5 oranges, 4 kiwi, 5 apples, arugula lettuce, fresh parsley, fresh clover, 3 huge yellow onions, 2 huge tomatoes, 5 cloves of fresh garlic and a pint of mushrooms.  I unpacked the produce and and I bit into one of the apples.  It  was one of the freshest apples I have had since my childhood.  Its true what they say that from the garden to the table is really the best way to eat food.  I like the fact that I save money not having to drive to the store and that I'm doing the right thing by supporting the local farmers.  Its a seasonal delivery so there will be a variety of different produce every week.  It's like having a birthday every other week. The owners also ask you to tell them if you have any requests so your packages are specialized for you. They named their company Front Porch Pickins'  because the produce is picked fresh and left on your front porch. Like the neighbors of the Walton family used to do.


Good Night John Boy, Nite Mary Ellen, Nite Grandpa, Good Night Jim Bob....remember the Waltons?  We all loved this show growing up and it seemed to make an impression on us.  One of the best things I loved about that show was the front porch.  The front porch represents the "old America."  The wrap around porches are my favorite.  One of my grandmother's houses had a front porch and I remember one particular year the night before Easter sitting with my grandparents, my mother, my sister and my aunts and cousins on the swing on the front porch.  I was six years old and my Grandfather was trying to convince me that there really was an Easter Bunny.  The night before sayin' "Nite Grandpa," I had seen a HUGE shadow on the wall that looked like a bunny. Scared the beJesus out of me.  Easter Bunnies weren't that big.  So rather than worry about it, I had convinced myself that there was no such thing as the Easter Bunny.

We said our Good Nights and went to bed looking forward to searching for the colored eggs in the morning and waking up to our Easter Baskets.  Grandpa was really a big kid so he couldn't wait to tickle your nose or scratch your forehead to wake you up.  You on the other hand would hit yourself in the face thinking it was a fly or something and he would laugh like Santa Claus.  That loud laugh would roar through the house and was so contagious that you wanted to drop whatever you were doing to go run and see what he was laughing about. I would spring out of bed (or many times from the sofa that Grandma had made especially for me) to make sure I wasn't missin' something only to be stared at by Grandpa and realize I was what he was laughing about. Grandpa wanted me to come out on the front porch.

He said laughingly, "Happy Easter! The Easter Bunny is outside and he has hidden the colored eggs in the front yard for you."  He was foolin' me and I knew it but I would go along with it as to not disappoint him.  So in my pajamas, Grandpa held my hand and we went out on the front porch.  I rubbed my eyes because I couldn't believe what I saw....not only were the eggs everywhere in the grass out front, there was a brown bunny rabbit in the middle of them.  From the front porch I became a believer, there really was an Easter Bunny and I was seeing it with my own eyes. Grandpa smiled and went inside while I just sat on the swing staring at the real Easter Bunny in amazement.  I couldn't wait to wake up my cousins and my mom and tell them the great news!  Grandpa came back out and I noticed in his hand was a carrot from Grandma's garden. He threw it in the yard near the Easter Bunny. The Easter Bunny hopped over to the carrot and sat there long enough for everyone else to gather to watch the Easter Bunny eat Grandpa's fresh pickins' from the front porch.


“The difference of a single day is perceptible. Vegetables can only be tasted in perfection, gathered the same day.”
John Pintard (1759-1844)
 

**4 updates if you've been keeping up with my blogs:  I'm sending the quarters to Jula today (Mission Accomplished - Collection complete), we're sending some wildflower honey to our Moms , the doctors called for the appointment for the you-know-what and we are planning our Utah trip to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon ...stay tuned, great photos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment