Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 18 - Herbs

My son and I have the continuing dialogue about the medicinal qualities of marijuana.  He thinks we should legalize Mary Jane.  After proposition 19 was shot down in the State of California in the last election he decided he would stay on the east coast after all.  Being the open-minded mother that I am I try to dialogue with him from the point of reference that he is coming from and see his side.  And the one thing I could never get past is it is illegal.  So if we did legalize weed than I'd have to rethink my stance as I don't know anyone who ever smoked a joint and killed somebody.  The part that scares me is this drug often leads to bigger drugs with stronger addictions.

He is a smart fella and one time my husband had found that he had gutted a computer case and was using the computer fan and installed lights to grow the stuff inside the house without anyone knowing!  I've had many conversations about doing the right thing and staying away from this illegal substance. What we could agree on was that the same talents he used to grow this cannibus plant are the same talents he could use to grow bonsais, or flowers, or something else.  The something else he chose are hot red chili peppers.  So in solidarity I asked him for some help to start growing herbs. And No not that herb.....real herbs.

Again, in solidarity,  I bought a couple packs of seeds on sale of basil, lemon balm, chives and thyme. The lady at the counter informed me that the seeds were old so they may not sprout thus they were on the discount rack.  I said OK and came home to plant them.  The lemon balm and chives didn't germinate but the thyme and basil did. I started them inside and then as they grew about 1 inch from the soil I took them outside for sun.  The thyme got flooded after a huge downpour that came out of nowhere and never recovered.  However the basil was a joy.  It felt great to be able to go outside and clip a couple stems of basil, trim the leaves and throw them in soup or whatever I felt like adding them to.  There is nothing like the fresh smell of basil or thyme or mint or rosemary.

Basil





I found out that they enjoy moist soil but can't be over watered.  Since I am not good at remembering when to water my plants I'm sort of relieved that I only ended up with one kind of plant to grow.  If you want to try it too, it saves money and gives you a sense of joy when you can harvest them.  You just need soil, seeds, water and light. A few cooking herbs that do especially well indoors are thyme, parsley, oregano (requires lots of light), chives, and sage. The five easiest ones to grow are sage, valerian, peppermint, rosemary and lemon balm. I know some people cut them, tie them together and hang them to dry.

I love trying something new and wondering where the journey takes me.  I learned about the medicinal values of garlic, ginseng, ginko balboa, hawthorne, licorice and echinacea.  There are herbs for increasing memory, improving overall brain health, lifting spirits and lowering anxiety.  Once we learn about these medicinal qualities in plants its easy to substitute herbs for over the counter medicine. God gave us herbs to medicate naturally.  The Native Americans have known this longer than we have. Peppermint aids indigestion and sore throats, Lemon balm dispels anxiety and heart palpitations, Rosemary helps memory and reduces joint pain, Valerian is a sleep aid, Sage combined with Echinacea is a pain killer for sore throat pain. Sage also has a  bacteria-fighting quality which also makes it a breath freshener. Which leads me back to where all this began......cancer patients in California know this already..... 


Echinacea comes from Coneflowers

~ Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana. The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two but can't remember what they are. ~
Matt Lauer

No comments:

Post a Comment