Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 6 - WOO

WOO - is a new term I've adopted into my vocabulary and seems to describe many situations in our lives.  If you've ever worked in a large corporation, you know that when we use the restroom, we are NEVER the only one in there.  The department next to my cubicle seemed to adopt me and they let me in on their term of WOO.  Window Of Opportunity.  They used this acronym to describe the general time of day that you could use the restroom in COMPLETE privacy to do your business.  You know what I mean.  So we joked about, I've got to go now or I'll miss my WOO.

My girlfriend Lisa, from high school came to visit me for Thanksgiving from Guam.  I explained the term to her and she has since adopted WOO into her vocabulary too.  It's such a great word to describe when you need to be prepared or do something at just the right time, at just the right place, to do just the right thing you may need or want to do.

Lisa and I have been friends for thirty years.  We seem to have a lot of things in common.  We had one sibling who was very very different from us.  We were raised in a single parent household.  Our dads had pretty much abandoned us. And we were able to compete with the boys in calculus and knew how to use our brain that seemed to surprise a lot of our male teachers and male classmates.  One time in Calculus, Mr. Rhodes was not very nice to me and I just felt so disrespected that I had to excuse myself from the room.   I went outside to sit in the hallway to gather myself together.  Lisa came out and sat with me and gave me the-boys-are-idiots-pep talk and explained that the bottom line was that when we left this small town and its mentality, we would go on to bigger and better things.  These same people who shunned us, would still be living in this small town thirty years later and wouldn't have lives that would even be close to the experiences we would have and the moments we would create for ourselves. [She was right]

The next day, I came to school and she presented me with The Good Egg Award, which I still have today.  She wrote on yellow construction paper shaped like an oval egg.  Because I had been the better person and gathered myself together and returned to class head-held-high I could go on with life knowing that sometimes high school teachers and peers are mean and that doesn't mean that we have to be a lesser individual for it.  Over the years, our times of despair and triumph have been shared.  When I  was going through my divorce, Lisa flew in from Germany.  Recently Lisa has some trials of her own and as I reached for words of comfort, I sent an e-mail that was returned with what I felt words that were uncharacteristic of my friend. I quickly sent an apology and tried to climb my way out of the hole I had buried myself in, to which she replied, "BJ, no you didn't offend me and i sincerely sorry if i said that in a rude way. You've always been there for me, even when you aren't there physically, I carry a bit of BJ with me at all times.  No worries.   As for me, i'll stop trying to reply to email at 5am before work..."

So there she is again, trying to comfort me in her darkest hours.  I cried yesterday to have such a good friend that loves me for just who I am.  Nothing more, Nothing less. She knows my history, she knows my bad points and loves me just the same.  So I would be remiss if I didn't use this WOO to tell her, "Lisa you are the sister I've never had and the friend I always will have.  I carry a little bit of Lisa with me at all times too. I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment