Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 9 - Hairs who I am

Yesterday I went to the salon and got my hair done.  Or as we say in our family folklore, got my hair did. What is it about hair that defines us?  We all have those photos from our earlier school days and are horrified when our parents bring them out to show our new date the first time over to meet the family.  If it really defined us, then we should by definition only have one hair style our entire lives.  Or it could define our different stages of life as we mature.  In some cases, it just defines our mood at the time we are sitting in front of our secret confidante aka our hairdresser. 

Hair is such a defining trait of any adolescent.  It's a statement.  One of my friend's daughters would use koolaid to dye her hair as she wanted to be eco-friendly. She had purple, blue, red, and pink hair at different points of her high school years.  This was her way of saying to the world, this is me, if you don't like it, then you are stupid because you have chosen to judge me on the outside.  Taking the time to know me on the inside, you would see that I'm worth getting to know.  Hairs who I am, take me or leave me.  It's an easy way for teenagers to separate the fake" friends" from the real friends.

My sons went through this self-identity stage too.  I went along with the phase and found it quite enlightening.  Brandon one day cut off all the sides of his hair with the clippers and put the Extreme Strong Hold gel on his hair and went to school for a month with a Wild Wild Mohawk.  With boys I think it's different in that there is another dimension to the mix.  In addition to the immediate separation of real vs fake people aspect, the girls love them with these wild hair expressions.  This is what they think.  It at least gives them the attention they are screaming in silence to receive.

I've seen boys with afros, corn rows, mohawks, dreds, etc.  I've seen girls with gothic black, red, blue, pink, purple and green hair.  Girls seem to like the color more than the guys.  I like color too.  I'm a natural brunette but with mother nature sprinkling graydust in my hair, until I have an all gray head of hair, I'm going down fightin'.  I had my usual platinum blonde dye of the roots yesterday but added one strip of auburn only on the left side for a little sumpin' sumpin'.  It looks great. I'm anxious to see how my teenager classmates respond.  At the age of forty-six I still would like to respond to all the naysayers that condemn me for looking "too young for my age".  I still don't understand what that means.  But I'll do the right thing and walk away knowing that I feel great because I got my hair did.

No comments:

Post a Comment