Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 22 - The Last Drop of Toothpaste

I’ve curled the end of my toothpaste tube up and have the new tube staged and ready. I’m a nut about making sure that I get the last drop of toothpaste out of there so as to not waste anything. Like the old jingle from the Heinz Ketchup commercial…(sing it with me) Anticipation…Anticipaaaattiooon, it’s-making-me-wait. That’s exactly what my toothpaste is doing. I rolled the toothpaste tube twenty-one days ago and each day I use it I think ok, I’ll throw it out today. There’s always more in there. My toothpaste has been like the wine and bread at the feast of Cana. I can’t believe that I could have thrown something away if I wasn’t paying attention. Had I done that I would have wasted twenty-one days of toothpaste.

The whole toothpaste ordeal reminds me of the times in our lives when we are anticipating an event we want to happen in our lives. We think we are ready for an event to occur in our lives and as with the toothpaste, we see that had we done what we wanted when we wanted it, it would not have been as perfect of a moment as when we actually did it. Sometimes in God’s infinite wisdom the event never occurs at all. And oh what a blessing it was that it didn’t happen to which we humbly say thank you God, you were right.

God’s time is always right. I know from experience that this is true. When I lost a job I had waited patiently to receive job offers. I didn’t have to search, people knew I was available and kept calling me. I could have picked the first one that called but I waited until the right one came along. Many of us are not in a position to wait and need any disposable income that is available to us, now. That is different. But if we do have the luxury of waiting or we can continue to look for the better job while sacrificially working for the current employer, it ultimately does come to us. And somehow you just know that it’s right. The secret is to believe and keep visualizing where you want to be, imagining yourself doing it, knowing what you will be paid and being ready for it when it comes. Doing the right thing is to prepare and to be ready for when the offer does come to us. They say luck isn’t really luck, it’s when preparation meets opportunity.

Now I’m again in this position of being unemployed. I’m out of a job through no fault of my own but I’m preparing for the next job. I’m reinventing myself. Taking the challenge of learning computers because as much as we’d like to fight it, they are here to stay and will soon take over almost everything we do in the way of work. They are used for input, calculation and storage of data. So I’m preparing for a new job in the Information Technology field (IT). On my paper I have twenty-four more credits left which translates into one more year as a student. On God’s papyrus I’m not sure how much time I have left.  I have a limited amount of funds and time. I’m squeezing the last drop out of my time and money to be a full-time student. But when it's God's time,  I’ll be waiting with anticipation and clean teeth.


In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.  ~Aaron Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment