Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 23 - LED Candles

LEDs are Light Emitting Diodes.  Don't know what they are?  Look at the flashing light on the radar detector, or the old flashing lights on the front of the computer case.  They're called LED lights, I didn't know what they were until I took a computer class and had to take apart a computer. What's interesting is that they are now being used for actual "light" - dim at best which makes them suitable for candles.  My mom gave me two of these candles.  They sit on top of the candle stick holders and look just like real candles with an LED wicker.  They are battery operated and the real magic occurs when you set them up.  Whatever time you start them, usually about 6 PM at night, they automatically turn on and then after six more hours they shut themselves off. No melting wax to clean up, no fire to remember to put out and best of all candles that are used every day without you having to remember to light them.  I really like them and am truly thankful for this gift  I received.  I've never seen anything like them anywhere.

My son had come over while we were on vacation to take care of our dog while we were away.  He had full reign of the house and after leaving him a detailed list of the what "to do" and what "not" to do I thought I had covered every minute detail.  He even laughed when he wrote what I typed, "You can drink the vodka in the cupboard but don't touch my wine.  And be sure to call me about anything else you think I might get mad about if I find it when I get home."  Suddenly I remembered about the candles.  I could just see it now when Brandon had walked by a candle at the same moment the LED light came on, this might really spook him out.  At first I did contemplate about not telling him but it just wasn't the right thing to do so I called him when we checked into the hotel and let him know.

He said, "Thanks Mom for letting me know, that would have really freaked me out."  He would have probably thought the place was haunted and left the dog to her own accord.  He's like that.  It would drive me nuts when I would come home late at night after working my second job and he would be sound asleep in his bedroom with the light on.  He really didn't like turning the light off before going to bed.  If it wasn't the light it was the TV.  I'm not sure why but this is clearly a man thing.  Their LED light is the tv. It comes on automatically at the same time every day with a touch of a thumb and is on infinitely.  If only there could be a timer that automatically shut the TV off two minutes after they started snoring.  It was save so much electricity. I never really understood this and still don't to this day.  At the first sign of a huge yawn, that's my cue to get up, wash up and get in the bed.  Night, lights out.

Maybe I need to buy my son a couple of these candles to put in his bedroom.  He'll have a little light.  He wouldn't have to worry about turning them off at night.  What's better yet I'll get him the LED ice cubes.  They are about two dollars....they don't keep your drink cold but they are waterproof and never melt. It is such a great way to break-the-ice. Maybe I should have bought these when he was a teenager...not for the alcoholic beverages but to illuminate the conversations. The brightest ideas always come after they grow up and leave the house. I guess its to light up the darkness that's felt when they go.



Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
  ~Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment