Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 36 - Jehovah Witnesses and Spinach Fritatta

Chou Romanesco
Last week the Front Porch Pickins' company sent me an email to remind me to put my cooler out on the front porch so they could leave my fresh produce at my scheduled time.  In this e-mail they sent a recipe for spinach fritatta.  [I'll share this with you at the end of this blog] When I returned home from class, I was delighted again with my delivery.  Bananas, 10 red potatoes, 2 bunches of green onions, a huge bunch of spinach, a head of romaine lettuce, 3 bartlett pears, kiwi, a carton of strawberries, and a chou romanesco ( it looks like a green cauliflower but is actually a part of the cabbage family).  I decided that I would try to make the spinach fritatta.  I had made brown rice the day before so it was easy and fast to make.  The flavor was outstanding.

Spinach Fritatta
I only had one constructive criticism to give myself.  Although I had washed the spinach leaves, I guess I didn't wash them good enough.  The right thing to do would have been to individually scrub each huge leaf as I had washed the head.  Due to the fact that the spinach head was literally pulled from the earth hours before it arrived on my porch, it had more dirt in it than what I had anticipated.  As a result with each bite of the fritatta, the taste was great but the chewing was gritty.  It just didn't feel right.  I now know why my mother-in-law always said, make sure you wash the greens real good.  I should wash any leafy vegetable real good before cooking it.

So the presentation, taste and overall flavor was pleasant, but the grittiness was evident in every bite.  Coincidentally, today I had a similar experience with two women who came to my door as Jehovah Witnesses.  I remember as a child being horrified one day when my mother opened the door and two Jehovah Witness men were outside and she screamed, "I am a witch!" slammed the door, and unemotionally went into the living room and laughed.  I never understood this.  I remember her laughing as she told her friend on the telephone that night about this experience.  I just couldn't imagine what these people did that would make my mother behave this way.

Throughout the years I have come to answer the door when I have time to hear what they have to say. I love the literature they leave and trying to do the right thing, I do read it before throwing it away.  If I don't have time or am in the middle of homework I don't answer the door. We began a nice conversation and as I tried to say anything, I was met with "scripture quotes" from the bible.  I love my faith, and really try to be a good person.  The struggle to be non-secular in a secular society is a daily battle to which I often lose.

The conversation was like the fritatta.  It looked good, had good ingredients, was full of flavor, but the grit ruined the message.  I work very hard and often fail at trying to seek first to understand and then to be understood.  This is one of my struggles I'm reminded about by my boyfriend daily. But yesterday I think I did a good job at seeking first to understand which is why I was so frustrated when it was my turn to be understood.  I learned that they don't believe in the trinity. They are three different entities. Period. And to mention a suggestion to read any other book other than the bible is sacrilegious.  So I agreed to disagree with them and told Kathy the head speaker of the two, that I was really disappointed that she kept talking and wouldn't listen to me long enough to finish a sentence.  I asked her, "Do you really think the twelve disciples didn't debate and listen to one another before they made their conclusions of the validity of the son of God?"

Again Kathy opened her bible, to read a scripture.  My problem was that I feel that when Jehovah Witnesses come to "witness" they don't listen.  There is no dialogue.  I was told that nowhere in the bible does it say that there is a trinity.  I did not know this but told her I would do some research.  This is what I found:

If, as the anti-Trinitarians maintain, the Trinity is not a biblical doctrine and was never taught until the council of Nicea in 325, then why do these quotes exist?  The answer is simple: the Trinity is a biblical doctrine and it was taught before the council of Nicea in 325 A.D. Part of the reason that the Trinity doctrine was not "officially" taught until the time of the Council of Nicea is because Christianity was illegal until shortly before the council.  It wasn't really possible for official Christian groups to meet and discuss doctrine.  For the most part, they were fearful of making public pronouncements concerning their faith.

So maybe they won't understand it next time when I don't answer the door. The grittiness of the inability to have an intelligent conversation without always quoting scripture is just a show. In my opinion, a show of  "I can quote the bible and you can't."  Even if I could, I don't believe Jesus would want this, he wants us to create moments of love and create a feeling of acceptance of one another. He himself, told parables.  He was the greatest story teller of all eternity. He didn't preach to the meek and the mild, he reached out and taught with human intimacy.  I certainly don't feel loved or accepted after their visit. I actually feel more alienated.

Now I know why my mom was a self-proclaimed witch that day, she reads other books in addition to the Bible. As for me, I too am probably going to hell for reading my recipe book a little closer.  I'm washing the spinach leaves one by one and showing them some individual attention and love.  I want my spinach fritatta to have the clean ingredients to be perfect next time.  Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost may be coming to have dinner with me, I'll set out two plates.

Spinach Fritatta
WASH SPINACH LEAVES VERY WELL
2 Tablespoons butter, sautee onions (scallions are better here) and 1 cloves of garlic
Add chopped spinach (take out the stems just use the leaves)
Stir until leaves have cooked down.
Add 3 cups of brown rice (cook brown rice in chicken bouillion), 4 eggs, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tsps salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Pour into casserole dish, sprinkle with cheese, bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment