Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 42 - The Skydiving Groupon

Today and tomorrow I'm going to be discussing some new technology that is coming our way.  Today is the website www.groupon.com.  It is a website that you can check daily for your city.  Once you log on, you select your nearest city and see what the coupon is for the day.  The idea is if a group of people reaches the minimum number of buyers predetermined by the advertiser and groupon, the deal is on.  Most savings are 50%.  So you purchase the groupon from the website and then print it out and use it at the advertised location.  I mention this because recently for my boyfriend's birthday I gave him something I didn't think I could EVER afford.  It was wrapped in a box with a diaper.  He opened it and said, "What is this for?" I responded, "Because when you see your present, you're going to S@*t!" It was a coupon for a skydiving jump!!!!  I purchased it on Groupon.

The whole thought of skydiving is one big leap of faith.  For me personally I subscribe to the philosophy of why would one want to jump out of a perfectly good running airplane?  Sometimes it's the thrill or the bragging rights to say, "I did this and didn't think that I could.  A new confidence is born!"  Other times, its something on your bucket list you want to check off as having done.  But the whole process of spending three hours learning, another hour prepping and another hour thinking about it as you get in the plane and then moving to the end of the open door on the plane and then in one fast swift motion, saying to yourself, "I can't back down now."  And jumping into a free fall like a bad dream that you can't wake from.  Only this time it's real and it feels great, fresh, exhilarating, like a bird.  You had faith in the people, the plane, the pilot, the equipment and more importantly yourself.

So trying any new "thing" is one big leap of faith. I first tried groupon with a purchase of a $120 canvas of my photo of the smoky mountains shown on this title page of the blog.  I bought the groupon for the 16x20 canvas print for $45 which included shipping.  I love this photo so I went to the website of the advertiser, www.canvasondemand.com and uploaded the photo.  Entered my groupon code and the canvas arrived in 10 days and is stunningly perfect.  Since this first purchase I have bought a $10 groupon for 2 tickets to the local movie theatre that included 2 free popcorn and 2 free large sodas, that's a savings of twenty bucks right there!  The second groupon was for our trip to New Orleans for $10 we got $20 worth of food at Tully's Pizza. You can look in cities where you will be traveling and purchase a groupon to use on your stay or visit in that city. This was by far the best value ever.

I had been talking about one of my childhood memories of my first job as a newspaper delivery girl.  I worked all month and collected at the end of each month all the money from my 50 house route.  I was in high school and still got up every morning at 4AM to deliver papers.  I pulled a red flyer wagon on Sundays attached to my bike in the snow to make my deliveries.  It was hard work, I earned $30 for the month and I rewarded myself on payday with a $5 pizza from Bova's Pizza.  The pizza was out of this world and I had never found any place that made the sauce like Mama Bova did.  When we used the groupon at Tully's I was so surprised to find that they used the same recipe as Bovas.  I loved this place.  I would have never relived this childhood dream without groupon.

Since then we've gotten $10 free chocolate, more canvases, restaurant groupons and more.  There are other sites trying to be the same as groupon such as www.livingsocial.com and you can use these for traveling also.  The point is for us to say that technology isn't for us and we don't "get into all that computer stuff" is like throwing money away.  If you drive a car, wake up to an alarm clock, watch tv and call people using a telephone, I've got news for you, you already are using "computer stuff" and don't know it.  So have a leap of faith and try out one new thing, and then another and another.  You can save money and try new things you wouldn't have known about.

For me the right thing to do is to watch the skydive from the ground and video it with my camera from below.  But I will confess, I would try it if it was in the Smokey Mountains and I got a view of this sunset again while jumping. Then I wouldn't care if I died of a heart attack or if I landed with a splat!  How's that for a true leap of faithless?  If only I could get the predetermined number of buyers for this kind of leap, then we could do it together....we'd call it a groupoff!

And if you are suffering, at least the pain is familiar. Because if you took the leap of faith, went outside the box, did something unexpected… Who knows what other pain might be waiting out there. Chances are it could be even worse. So you maintain the status quo. Choose the road already traveled and it doesn’t seem that bad. Not as far as flaws go. You’re not killing anyone… Except maybe yourself a little. When we finally do change, I don’t think it happens like an earthquake or an explosion, where all of a sudden we’re like this different person. I think it’s smaller than that. The kind of thing most people wouldn’t even notice unless they looked at us really, really close. Which, thank God, they never do. But you notice it. Inside you that change feels like a world of difference. And you hope this is it. This is the person you get to be forever… that you’ll never have to change again. ~ Everwood 

1 comment:

  1. We bought a skydiving Groupon for Start Skydiving in Coleman Florida. It expires 1/2012. We called to make an appointment and set it up for 6/25/11. We then had to reschedule and called the (513) 422-6857 area code phone number and they rerouted us to an (877) 465-8672 number in Ohio. We explained we were coming to Coleman, FL and wanted to reschedule for 7/1/11. We drove three hours and arrived to find a sign on the door that said, we are closed from April 25, 2011 to September 25,2011! A painter was inside and he said we were the SECOND couple to come and say the same thing, that they had an appointment too and drove up to find that the place was closed.

    We called Groupon and immediately got our money refunded. It is a hole in the wall trailer out in the middle of nowhere. We still wasted six hours of driving as we had to drive three hours BACK home and $35 worth of gas! I would like Start Skydiving to refund my money for gas because NOWHERE on the groupon does it say that they are closed for six months out of the year and at NO TIME DID THEY ASK US WHICH LOCATION we were jumping from as we didn't even KNOW there was another location. Completely unprofessional and unethical to sell a Groupon knowing that the place would not be in operation for six of the twelve months out of the year and not put it at the time the Groupon was being advertised.

    It clearly was a GroupOFF that day! Groupon did the right thing and give us our money back. Great company. Can't say the same about Start Skydiving.

    ReplyDelete