Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 84 - Glitter Butt

So I filled out my paperwork at the dentist since I’m the new patient.  My dentist is located over sixty miles away so since this was an emergency, I wanted to get in wherever I could as fast as I could.  After I finished answering all the medical questions about my 6 surgeries and 2 child births, and what other medical diseases I had, I gave the paperwork to the lady and searched for a seat in the waiting room.  It is a small room with a total of six seats.  Two were occupied so I had four to choose from.  I chose one, walked toward it and noticed that there was glitter left on the seat from the previous occupant.  I thought against it for one moment and then just laughed out loud.  The other two waiting patients probably wondered why I was laughing.  I just thought it was funny that if I sat in this seat I would have glitter on my butt. 
I thought it was funny that I tell a dentist all about my medical health.  I’m sure if I studied dentistry that I would understand the relevance of my foot surgery to having my teeth checked over.  I wondered if I should answer the question marked “other – comments about your health” with my new affliction: Shiny Behind (since I just sat in glitter.)  I like doing this sort of thing that is considered off the wall just to see if anyone really pays attention to what you put on the forms anyway.  One thing I learned in Business Law class is that unless you sign below the words that are binding, the contract isn’t binding.  So I always use black or blue ink and sign only below what I agree to.  There have been forms that I feel we are pressured to sign and I don’t sign at the bottom for this reason.  Most of the time, nobody notices so I’m not legally bound to something as a precondition of being seen which in my opinion is signing under duress.  Signing under duress is illegal.
The right thing to do when signing any legal binding document is to read it.  Many times I have been pressured to hurry through the process of signing legal documents only to the dismay of the person short for time.  This has saved me many headaches.  When we sold our first home, the buyers entered the attorney’s waiting room with us for the closing.  The real estate agent arrived last and although we had retained him, he quickly went over to the buyers.  I thought this was strange and I heard the buyer ask the agent if he had gotten it done.  I wondered what “it” was.  I had had the paperwork faxed to me in advance so that I could take a look at it.  It looked fine and I was ready to sign. 
Many people don’t know that any contract is not binding if it is canceled by either party within three business days.  The right thing to do is to also check what you signed again within these three days.  Had the people who bought these homes with the prime mortgages who claimed they didn’t know done this, they would have located the fine print talking about balloon payments and variable interest rates.  I did just that when we got home from signing the sale of our house contract.  I noticed that there was a $500 charge to us as the sellers that was in the miscellaneous column that wasn't on the original fax I had received for review.  I called the realtor and he refused to call me back.  I kept calling and then I called the attorney.  Long story short, the realtor had promised the buyers that he would get them a refrigerator.  He charged us the $500 so that he could do this.  So in essence, he had promised that we would buy them a refrigerator, unbeknownst to us. He finally admitted this is what he had done when confronted by the lawyer. He begrudgeonly  agreed to write us a check for a refund of $500 only at the threat of me taking him to court.
I noticed as I get older that I have to continue to fight to just keep the money that is rightfully mine.  I know I’m the exception.  Most people don’t do this double checking.  Credit card companies were notorious for these additional illegal charges.  I read each statement.  Why do you think they are trying so hard to get you go “paperless”?  It’s harder to read on the computer.  I can’t imagine what money the senior citizens of this country are losing by not having someone to help them with all these type of people and companies.  They need someone to shed the light on how they are being taken advantage of.  You know, I could shine some light now that I’ve sat in that seat with the glitter at the dentist office.  Just call me firefly. LOL
 
His sanguine spirit turns every firefly into a star.
~Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr. 
(Scottish writer, creator of the detective Sherlock Holmes, 1859-1930)


No comments:

Post a Comment