Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 88 - Onomatopoeia - PIA!

Remember this from grade school? Onomatopoeia?  I remember is sounding like On-No-Mon-No-PEE-A.  An Onomatopoeia is the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named   Zip. Cuckoo. Oink. Baa. Zoom. Sizzle.  It comes from the greek word that has the same pronunciation that means the making of words.  We all learned many of these soon after we learned how to talk.  Remember the game The Farmer Says by Mattel that was round and the face had pictures of animals around the outside and a pointer in the middle.  Our parents would pull the string and the pointer would go round and round until the string stopped and the toy would exclaim, "The cow. The Cow goes MOOOOO!"  We loved that toy.

My mother's side of the family came from the land of farming.  Grandpa was a farmer in his younger years and Uncle Buddy was always a dairy farmer.  We were around the cows all day long.  We climbed up into the corn silos that has a smell of its own.  We climbed into the hay barns and swang on a tire swing attached with a rope to one of the cross beams of the barn.  We killed snakes and bailed hay and played two childrens games.  One game was called Squish. [Another onomatopoeia] - yup you guessed it! We would take off our shoes and socks and walk around in pig poop mixed with cow manure.   If you could do this, you were a grown up child. A grown up child is one that acts like the adult around the the other children.  The younger cousins and neighbor kids couldn't do it like my cousin Ty and myself.  Ty was the oldest grandson and I was the oldest granddaughter.  He was always trying to one-up me and because I was also the oldest grandchild and the bigger of the two, we had many wrestling fights which I usually won by sitting on him!

Weno played another game called Knife.  You took your shoes and your socks off for this too.  You would stand and take a pocket knife, flip it in the air, near each others foot and if you moved, you lost.  We were pretty good about making it close enough to scare you but Ty and I were bold and never moved our feet.  We learned to trust each other completely from this game.  I never had a brother but he was as close as I would ever get to a brother.  He had my back and I had his.

When I got my first car at 16, it was a standard Volkswagen Beetle with a stick shift.  I could barely drive it but Ty being the avid driver of a tractor since the age of five, [the truth], he rode with me on one of my first times out in my new car.  I was proud of my baby blue VW Bug and called her Desiree.  We slowed down approaching the railroad tracks and the car stalled.  I told Ty, don't worry I can start it again.  We heard the train coming. Woo hooooooo!  I turned the key and  it started and popped the clutch again! Wooo hoooo! We could see the train rounding the been now. Ty was twelve at the time and wasn't allowed to drive legally.  He asked a little nervously, "Are you sure?"  I said yes, started the car and popped the clutch one more time.  He yelled as he got out of the car, "Get out!" and I did the right thing to trust my cousin once again based on history. I ran to the other side of the railroad tracks.  He got in the drivers side and started the car up and drove it to safety.  The train railed by...."Woohooooo" in the next two seconds! We laughed and laughed and laughed. A nervous laughter that you are relieved at how close you had just come to dying.  Whoopy! [another onomatopoeia..] Trust= Time + Experience.  If  a relationship's history hasn't had the time to develop or to gain the number of experiences to earn trust, then chances are we might be taking risks by giving our trust too easily.


Ty's brother, Chris was nick-named Squirrel.  Grandpa gave each of us a nickname of an animal: Chipmunk, Squirrel, Mouse, and the tradition has continued without him: Bullfrog, etc.  How he came up with them, Lord only knows.   Squirrel would always tell knock-knock jokes.  [Knock-Knock is an onomatopoeia.]  He has since grown up and married a wonderful women Peggy.  Peggy recently drew a picture of Grandpa's house.  Grandpa aka "Harley" built this house with his own hands.  I remember the insides as he built each wall by hand after working hard during the day. His dream, an A-frame on the top of a hill.  The front window where he ate breakfast and drank coffee every morning overlooked the stream where the deer ate breakfast in the fields.  The back window opened to the pine trees and had a great view of the sunset.  We'd catch fireflies at night on the front porch after we had killed over 100 flies with the old worn out fly swatter.

It was here at Grandma and Grandpa's house we heard many of our first onomatopoeias.  Bang, Belch, Chirp, Tweet, Buzz, Boom, Bump, Drip, Eek, Clunk, Flick, Flutter, Giggle, Hiccup, Humm, Grumble, Mumble, Rustle, Roar, Rumble, Slurp, Thud, Thump, and Whisper to name a few.  My favorite was Swish when I would make a basketball when we shot at our homemade basketball rims (or peach baskets in this case.)  Grandpa's house was a place of many good memories.  For me it was the "hoot" of an owl at night with  the cool breeze blowing across my face as I slept on the sofa.  It was always a "hoot" staying in the house that Harley built.

Footnote:  When American Idol voters didn't support PIA this week I let out one big onomatopoeia - BOOO! She was clearly the best singer on the show.  The majority of contestants are good this season but in protest I'm not watching the rest of the season.  Scotty is a one-trick-pony. Paul dances like a chicken without wings. UGH, TSK!





No comments:

Post a Comment