Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 92 - Jiminy Cricket and the National Honor Society

Jiminy Cricket is my favorite Disney Character. Let your conscience be your Guide.  I just think he's cute.  He's not a well-known character and it is hard to find memorabilia of him at Disney.  One time, I looked and looked and couldn't find anything.  Steve finally found a ceramic statue of him and bought it for me, I was so excited. As a basketball referee I have to have impeccable character and thus my attraction to Jiminy.

The irony for me is that in high school I applied to be a member of the National Honor Society and was denied two times. The selection criteria is based on Scholarship [grades], Service [volunteer hours], Leadership, and Character. The first time I was denied because I hadn't had enough volunteer experience.  I dug deep and kept my AB average, kept my membership in the clubs I listed in a prior blog, and started volunteering in the church activities.  The following year I applied again.  I was denied again!  When I went to the teacher who was in charge of gathering the votes for the NHS, Ms. Dohmen, I asked her if I could speak to her.  She said yes and I asked her why this time I was denied again. She was obviously nervous that I had asked her.  She said, "You didn't meet the criteria."  I said, "What do you mean? I was only short the volunteer hours last year and I clearly have met that criteria this year."  She was shifting her weight from one foot to another and was sighing, she was clearly hiding something.  She kept babbling and at the end of it I heard, "The teachers said you didn't meet the criteria of character."   I thought, I don't have any character? Having good character as defined by the NHS was having one that upholds the principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, concern and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.

I wasn't the only one, my classmate Jeannie didn't make it either.  She was a straight A/B student and everyone loved her.  She failed in the area of physical stamina as she had gotten a C in gym class.  My other classmate and good friend Lisa didn't fit the bill too.  Ms. Dohmen told her that she didn't have any ethical morality!  We were all just kids! I was not going down without a protest on this one so I went home and took out a big permanent black magic marker.  I wrote in big letters on a bright yellow t-shirt, "I DON'T HAVE ANY CHARACTER. Ask me about it."  I wanted the teachers who VOTED AGAINST my admission to know that I knew what they had done. Probably proved their point in their minds but I actually was showing I DID have character enough to tell the truth, stand up for what was right and protest in a cooperative manner.  I was exposing the injustice of the subjectivity of teachers as a concern to all of us who were misjudged.

And I told anyone who would listen.  Really?  How can you tell a child these statements and live with yourself? Is that the best you can do to keep high achieving  girls down who were academically ranked in the top five percent in a class size of 210 students?  There were so many unfair things that happened to me in high school that this is probably the second biggest reason why I became an referee.  Justice.  To be impartial, to be fair, to punish the bullies of a team that beat up the players on another team simply because they are bigger and can.  To protect the kids from a coach that is abusive.  I've seen fathers hit their own kids with a clip board over the head! Technical Foul - not in my game. The right thing to do is to take these injustices and empower yourself to make a difference in a young person's life so that they don't have to endure these ridiculous injustices.

Jiminy Cricket  said,  "You buttered your bread. Now sleep in it!" As it relates to our NHS shunning, the problem  for Jeannie, Lisa and I was that we didn't butter our bread.  Someone else buttered it for is and we had to sleep in it.  As karma would have it, today I'm going to the awards ceremony to accept the Outstanding Academic Achievement Award for a student in my degree Computer Information Technology Administrator.  An award given to students who excel in Service, Leadership, Scholarship and.....Character. Jeannie, Lisa and I may not have been stars in the view of the National Honor Society, but we had our own twinkling stars and dreams.  Jiminy was famous for singing the song, When You Wish Upon a Star.  Our dreams have come true with or without the endorsement from the National Honor Society or more precisely from the high school teachers who didn't believe in us. And they came true because we believed in who we are ....women with character...a LOT of character.

 (Click on Title)

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you

If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do

(Fate is kind, she brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of their secret longing)

Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you thru
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true 


No comments:

Post a Comment