Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 109 - Our Daily Bread, Ketchup and Humble Seeds

Now that you know that I've done my part for thirty years and donated to the food bank with every food drive imaginable and that I've also volunteered at the food bank, imagine my surprise when I found myself in a position to have to be the recipient of the food bank.  Bottom line, as a displaced worker with no income other than the $1100/month coming in we needed help.  I could have used the money for food but then there would be no car, or no house.  So to be honest, it is a little embarrassing to admit that I need help.  Sometimes the right thing to do is to allow ourselves to expose our vulnerability and receive help.

What I found while being in line to receive food, any food, is that some people are professional food bankers.  They will tell you all the other places to go.  I didn't need more than I could use so I just kept coming to the one in our county.  This particular food bank is run by a church and the rules are you must show ID and tell how many are in your household.  You must have the social security cards from each person. Once you are registered you can go every two weeks.  What I was most surprised about is that this food bank gave us meat!  This is a luxury I wasn't expecting.  Being a Flexitarian now (someone who eats meat only on occasion) this worked out perfectly.

I like this food bank because they never intimidate or embarrass you. Your dignity is always first.  They know you don't like to be in the situation that you need food so they truly act the way a Christian brother or sister should act.  They call you by your name, greet you, make sure they "see"' you and then ask if there is anything you request.  If they have it they will give it to you.  Having both worked at the food bank and now going to the food bank, I have found that condiments are one of the things that the food banks need the most.  Ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard.  If you have no money, the bread and eggs are great but salt, pepper and ketchup at least don't make you "feel" so poor.  The condiments are the blankets of life that cover the reality of us being in the position we're in to go to the food bank in the first place.

I still feel guilty.  If there is anyone who has earned a right to food when they need it, I know I would be a candidate but I can't help to still feel guilty.  I try to give back in some small way.  I place my older copies of Our Daily Bread, the daily readings put out by rbc ministries out of Grand Rapids MI. You can get your own free copies at www.rbc.org and also you can get free e-learning courses at www.christiancourses.com.  I feel like for those of us who are in the position that need bread to eat that we also may need bread for our souls.  I know that when we feed our soul with stories about our true purpose on earth, it helps us. We struggle to understand why we are in the situation we are currently in and the stories in Our Daily Bread just makes us feel better.  The stories help us to realize it is a temporary moment in time and eventually we will be in a position once again to help others.

I'm amazed at how great the system works.  The local stores donate the bread that is "expired" and freeze it.  I would have never tried some of these items before if I hadn't received them through the food bank: Fresh sourdough bread, easter bread, poppy seed bread, and sunflower grain bread. It is not sliced but great for dipping into soup.  I've gotten fresh asparagus and cabbage from the food bank too.  I love it when they give out fresh produce.  I feel completed by the whole circle of life involving seeds.  Here we have a vegetable that started from a seed.  We are being fed "humble seeds" that continue to grow in our bodies.  Once we grow and move on, the right thing to do is to give away one of the now two hundred "humble seeds" that have developed in our bodies to other people. This one seed has multiplied inside ourselves like each seed produces a vegetable with a hundred or so seeds inside of it.  God amazingly distributes the seeds through birds digestive system.  Every creature has its purpose including humans.  To whom much is given, much is required.  We are required to give back once our "humble" seeds have grown and now bear fruit.

I plan to send a letter and a donation once I'm back on my feet to this particular church.  But more importantly, I'm donating ketchup and mayonnaise in my next donation to any food bank.

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food." ~Genesis 1:29

If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one. ~Mother Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment