When we redid the front room in the "basketball motif," I told Steve, just believe and we will find one at yard sale. He thought I was out of my mind. We looked around and sure enough we found a cornice board with the EXACT measurements needed for the 60" window! I recovered it with some new fabric with small round pebble color circles (like a basketball) and some black gimp. Simply Maaaarvelous.
|Cornice Board at Yard Sale refurbished with Gimp|
|Gimp is the fringe at the bottom of twisted cord|
When I redo a room, I start with the fabric, then build the design around it. The fabric I chose had an Asian motif with colors of cherry blossoms and bamboo; Dark Brown, sage green, Burgundy, salmon pink and white. My first hurdle came when I first realized my fabric was only 44" in width and the cornice board needed to be 58." I went to our seamstress, Lucy to see how much she would charge me to sew one line of fabric after cutting the fabric in two. $6 was her price and I told her that was more than she charges for the two pant legs of a pair of pants to be hemmed. Being loyal customers for over two years, I was surprised that it was more than $2 if not free. I told her I would do it myself. This project was on a budget. And it was clear I was gimping along on it.
|stuff from other areas in the house|
Now when people walk in they can say "Wow! That is nice!" The best thing about the "WOW!" is that it is a $500 Wow! After selling the left over Under the Sea bathroom items at a yard sale, it was essentially a free WOW! Not bad for gimping along, being twisted and holding things together.