Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 111 - My Big Toe

My mother had a saying she would yell at us when she felt we had done something that in her opinion didn't make any sense. She would say, "If you had a brain in your big toe, you'd be dangerous."  Well I'm not sure this really applied to me but it was funny never the less.  I wish she would have said, "If you had any artistic talent in your thumb, you'd be an artist, or a gardener."  Now THAT makes more sense.  But even though I got genes from my father too, who I'm told can paint I can't quite seem to have the patience required to be an artist.  I dream of taking watercolor classes or acrylic classes to be able to draw.  And to draw so good that I could actually sell it to a buyer who saw its beauty the way it is in my brain would just be unbelievable.  I'm going to do it someday, I know I will, but the time has not come. I have to "feel" it. The right thing to do will be to start with a class, any class when I do get that feeling. With limited funds, the right thing to do is go to art festivals and support what the artists are doing.  You may learn something new or see an art you'd never thought about before.  The festivals need both the artists and craftspeople as well as the audience to view their work.

That's what art is, art comes from the heart where we "feel" something.  If I see contemporary art that I think looks like something I could have "thrown" together, than I don't consider it art.  Art is something I can't do myself.  I have to feel what the artist was trying to communicate through this medium.

I'm such a left-brained person, always plotting the logic of events and problems that studying Computer Science is a great place for me to be.  But I do appreciate the right-brained artists of the world.  I couldn't live with them but I could buy some of their art.  Today I leave you with a link to the winners of the Savannah Art Festival Sidewalk Chalk Art competition.  We drive three hours every year just to watch these amazing people.  The artists are mostly students at the SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) from all over the world.  The competition is divided into categories such as current students, prospective students, alumni and grad students. My favorite this year is an aerial view of a kayaker as he floats toward a waterfall drop off through a canyon.  Simply amazing.  What is most awe inspiring to me is that each artist is provided with the same exact tools.  A square on the sidewalk and the same box of chalk and the same amount of time.  Its their brilliant imaginations that somehow make the chalk turn magically into art.  You can feel it.  Enjoy!

Oh as a side note, good thing I didn't have a brain in my big toe, as I stubbed it walking on the uneven sidewalk. It might have given me a concussion but luckily for me it was just a stubbed toe!

Click here for 2011 Winners

Self Portrait




Tina Turner

Bob Marley - winner

The Kayak - 2nd place Prospective Student

Kayak Artist Adeola Ajayi, Prospective Student from Atlanta

Paper Boats floating on water - Winning artist from India


When Scuba Diver meets Shark!

That is not a shirt it is his skin!

La Nouba - Been there!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment