Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 117 - The Bitch Dictionary

The dictionary is such a great resource for learning new words.  Sometimes we know words but to get the clarification of their specific meaning, we consult Webster.  We use words that we've used for years because we've heard others use them and we are parrots, we copy what we hear and see.  We're born that way.  For example, I still catch myself saying anyways.  The correct word is singular but if you grew up where I did, it was anywayzzzzz. Anyways, I say words and others correct me.  I'm ok with that.  I want to know if I'm saying a word incorrectly.  Last month in class I was talking about dogs and peeing on the fire hydrant or so I thought but my classmates let me know a word that didn't match my brain had come out of mouth. When dogs pee on the fire extinguisher.  We had a good laugh about that one! Not only because it was funny but because they understood what I meant!


One day at work a co-worker was pretty agitated with me as I was putting pressure on him to produce a job for a client that was late.  It was in his department as it was the last department before it got to the client.  That was my job. He looked at me and exclaimed with a barrel of a voice, "BJ, if you look up Bitch in the dictionary, there is a picture of you beside it."  I said I would check that out but in the mean time, could he please give me a time I can tell the client that she could be here to pick up her job not batting an eye.

I  went back to my desk, called the client to let them know what time to come and pick up her job, grabbed a photo I had of myself with my kids on the cubicle, the dictionary and went to the copy room.  I photocopied the photo and the page of the dictionary that had the word bitch and its definition.  I cut oug and taped my photo beside the word bitch on the copied page.  When my co-worker was at lunch, I taped this new Webster page with the definition to bitch to his monitor and wrote in big black magic marker, "You were right!"   After he got back from lunch he came into my office and sat down in my cubicle.  He had the page I had copied in his hand.  He laughed and laughed and laughed.  I laughed with him.  He said, "BJ. I'm sorry I was just stressed out.  This was one of the most brilliant things you've ever done.  That was a good one!"  I smiled contently knowing that there really was a photo of me in the dictionary, but it was just on a different page... good sport  a)someone who can accept a loss in a competition or can accept being the butt of a joke.

Sometimes you have to be a bitch to get things done. ~ Madonna

No comments:

Post a Comment