Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 122 - Hoof Beats and Duck Feet

I was studying for my Computer class and I stumbled upon a saying in the troubleshooting section.  It said that in medical schools, doctors have a saying, "When you hear hoof beats [in Central Park] its probably horses, don't go looking for zebras."  Basically it is saying that doctors should take the common sense approach to the symptoms.  I was reminded of this the other day when I took my eye exam.  I've been getting headaches and I can't see the words on the computer or in my books anymore.  In two weeks my eyes changed dramatically.  I've been light-headed when I wake up in the mornings.  So the right thing for me to do was to realize that my glasses don't work for me anymore.  I'm not looking for zebras, like an oncoming stroke or heart attack, but its clear that the $3.99 bifocals from the store aren't working for me anymore.

As I took the exam the lady asked me to read the smallest line on the eye chart with my left eye.  It was DVCK or DUCK I couldn't be sure.  Later I saw it was DVCK.  And the words of my elders came to my head reminding me of another way to say the horse/zebra medical saying that us non-medical, common folk use.  If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. I really did need new glasses.

Sometimes everyone else can see the signs and we can't.  The right thing to do is at minimum once a year, take a health check and have a health day.  Today was my day, I got my eye exam, went and bought new underwear (this is how you can tell when we neglect ourselves, when our underwear are holy and they don't go to church daily) and got a free pair of Nike Shox Shoes with a $50 coupon I had.  You may need a pedicure or a manicure or a free make over  at the local Estee Lauder counter in the department store nearest you.  Something other than what you traditionally do.  End the day with a bubble bath and toast to yourself.  For the men, if bubbles are too feminine for you, tell your friend who has a jacuzzi that you're bringing a six pack of beer over and you'd like to get in the jacuzzi.

When we went to the Smoky Mountains with Jula's parents, they brought a present for us when they got into the jacuzzi.  It was a rubber duck.  They put it in the jacuzzi and celebrated life with a beer by relaxing with the rubber ducky floating around.  End your day like that, with laughter, while having fun and saying "Salud" when you lift your glass for a toast...Salud is spanish for "To your health" and its spelled S-A-L-U-D just in case they have it on the next eye exam you take.

In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.  ~Author Unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment