Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 133 - The Comforts of Home - OWN it

There's just something about having your OWN place. This is why I think Oprah's new network name is great, she OWNs it.  My son just moved into his "own" house (although it is with his brother.)  He is free to do what he wants, when he wants and not have to worry about offending anybody, eating someone's food or being accused of not doing the chores which he was never told to do....Freedom.

With that freedom comes peace.  It reminds me of when I was sitting next to my classmate "J" (names changed to protect the guilty) and he told me he loves online classes because he can sit in his underwear and do his work.  I told him that was WAY TOO much information!  But it gave me a visual and I had to laugh.  I wonder if "J" shops on the internet while sitting in his underwear on the internet? I know the UPS man and the FedEx guy love us because we keep them in a job because we do a lot of shopping from home on the internet.  Its convenient and we don't have to go anywhere to look for what we already know we want anyway. We just don't do it in our underwear!

Its interesting to see your children go off and try to do it on their own.  My sons are doing it together now and I can tell they are happy.  Genuinely happy.  I guess there is peace in knowing that your brother is there too so at least if you fail, there is someone to fail with.  This alone can provide just enough support to get each other through the toughest of circumstances.  The right thing to do is find someone else that can provide emotional as well as financial support to split the costs of living on your own.  It becomes half the battle; figuratively and literally.

Both of my sons are trying their hand at college.  There have been ups and downs.  The ups come with the first semester, excitement trying something new, doing good and getting good grades.  Then the reality of having to work to provide your own rent sets in and the time management skills are either made or not.  If they are not, the grades go lower.  It takes discipline and time management to get good grades in college.  You can sit in your underwear and take the online classes, but in the end, the grades you get are yours to OWN. 


The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth.~John F. Kennedy


No comments:

Post a Comment