Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 168 - My First Book Club

I became good friends with a Readers Advocate at the local newspaper.  I guess I had called and e-mailed so many times that finally just knew me by name and really listened to what I had to say.  I wrote in to complain about the sexist or racial undertones some articles and photos had.  Like when discussing poor people, there were only photos of black people.  When discussing rich people, there were only photos of white people.  Then there was the total disregard for Womens sports.  The Mens NCAA Basketball Championship team got the entire front page of the Sports section....in color! And the Womens NCAA Basketball Championship team was on page 8 in the corner without a bold headline. I also gave them ideas on what stories would be interesting to read about like the flags hanging in the gymnasiums across the city.

He eventually asked me to join a Feedback Panel in which the paper periodically sends out e-mails with questions about our opinion, which I'm glad to provide free of charge!  The right thing to do is to get involved in civic groups where you can make a difference.  I have also been asked to be on the Newsweek Feedback Panel but that was before the buyout from Huffington Post.  Haven't heard from them since that change in management.  Well recently I was asked to join a book club with this same Newspaper feedback Panel.  I agreed and we have been assigned our first book. It is about the writing of Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.  Stowe wrote portions of that book while visiting Jacksonville, so the area has a local interest in it.  The book is titled Mightier Than The Sword by David Reynolds. 

I never was a part of the Oprah book club because I think there should be a little more personal interaction.  So I'm trying this out.  I'll update you when I figure out if I like it. I know one thing it may lead to a job...connections.  We can all use connections. 

I am so happy to be reading things I want to read as opposed to what I have to read for school.  By the time you have read this I will have read five books and it has only been one week.  I'm trying to make up for lost time as I have always had a goal to read at least ten books a year.  It keeps my mind fresh and gives me plenty more to talk about...just what I need right?

No comments:

Post a Comment