Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 171 - Google Yourself and other Benefits of Technology

If there was any good that came from an Assignor like Tony MacDonald, it was that he made you do everything yourself.  He didn't want to be bothered with "stupid" questions from over 200 officials.  So I learned how to use www.mapquest.com to find directions to all gyms.  I used www.whitepages.com to find phone numbers to the gym if it wasn't listed on their websites. (You can also do a reverse search on the whitepages.com website to find out who called you on your cell phone from a number you didn't recognize.  For a small fee of $1.99 you can also text that number to LOOKUP (566587) and it will return the name of the owner of that number. If the information is not available, you will not be charged. )I've learned that the internet can be your best friend if you use it to GET information and not use it to POST information.  To this day I don't have a Facebook page.  The blog alone is probably more information than I'd like to be "out there." So if you know two things going in: 1) Once something is on the internet (YES even on your Facebook page) it's out there.  2) It is not private once it's posted.  For me this is not too big of a problem as I'm an open book anyway.  That being said, I don't use Facebook because I know the programming language used on Facebook called PHP.  I also know that it can find out anything about you once you have clicked the appropriate buttons.  So beware.

Jessica Lundsford

Convicted Murder/Neighbor of Jessica
The right thing to do is to find out what IS out there on the internet about you, google yourself.  When the Jessica Lundsford Act (JLA) came out we as officials had to get fingerprinted and had to have a background check done.  Immediately partners that we had officiated with for years all of a sudden were disqualified on the basis of "immoral turpitude."  Googling them, we found out one had a plethora of domestic violence convictions, another a conviction of possession of marijuana from 1964, and others DUIs.  I was shocked.  I'm glad we had to go through this process, not for the pain in the butt that it caused all of us but for the fact that not only children shouldn't be, but I don't want to be around this kind of person either.  We are supposed to be abiding citizens and role models for these children.
Google yourself.  See what you find.  You may or may not be surprised.  Married in the state of Texas in 1991? The records are there and will come up. Were you ever quoted in the newspaper?  Bet it's on the internet.  Google people from work, know who you work with, I mean REALLY know who they are.  When you do a search if you want a single "string of words" to come up put them in quotation marks.  For example, If I search for Paul Waubashian, all the Pauls and Wubashians will come up nearest to where I live.  But if I search for "Paul Waubashian" by putting his string of names in quotes, the search will search for these words together and will show the results for all Paul Waubashians nearest to where your IP address is on your PC or MacIntosh Computer.

Google also has a new feature in the search window. You will notice that there is an icon in the shape of a camera.  If you click on the icon/camera, you can put a picture you have on your computer that you wish to identify and it will search for "like" photos.  For example, lets say I have a photo sent to me in an e-mail of a kind of fruit and I don't know what it is.  I download the photo to my desktop. I then do the Google photo search and browse to that photo, upload it and it will take me to a website with other photos just like it.  Eventually I see photo recognition being used. So if I go to your Facebook page, download your photo by right clicking on it and choosing the "Save As" feature.  Then I upload it to the camera icon on Google, I can find out what your name is. Now in this case I knew your name that is how I got to your Facebook page...but in the future, that won't be necessary.

When Google first came around it was a search site and a noun.  Now it has evolved into a verb. Things change and history is recorded...just be sure that what is recorded about yourself is true. And as for Tony, he would encourage you "not to google HIS name" because convicted felon may just show up on the search. Be careful who you associate with.


Some say Google is God. Others say Google is Satan. But if they think Google is too powerful, remember that with search engines unlike other companies, all it takes is a single click to go to another search engine. ~Sergey Brin [Inventor of Google]

I leave you with some Google Doodles...






No comments:

Post a Comment