Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 175- The Journey...The Happy Journey


I needed to get away.  To do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it and how I wanted to do it.  No complaints, no arguments, no non-appreciation for the “shit happens when you’re on vacation” drama.  Me, myself and I. I always plan every minute detail.  When we went to Utah, I had an itinerary for every day. Morning, we are here; Afternoon, we are there…this time…I’m winging it.  I can’t believe it is working out actually because this is definitely not my MO (modus operandi).
I set out driving and went north.  I ended up in Columbia SC the first night.  In the morning I went to my former mother-in-laws house.  We joked that she would never be an “X” so I still consider her my mother-in-law.  I love her.  She is eighty years old and just accepts every one as her own.  My son thinks it is weird that we are still friends. I told her what he thought and her response was, “He needs to get over it. Life goes on.”   My sister-in-law and I cooked, went grocery shopping for Mudder (as we affectionately call her) and then I gave her some of my new strawberry jam that I made!  She said, “Wow, you have been making jam, I’m impressed.” Truth is I am too. 
I didn’t really know where I was headed but in the morning I had e-mailed a couple places and the first one that called me was where I went.  I ended up in Highlands, NC.  Actually I probably could have been there in about 90 minutes from Columbia, but the detour to Charlotte put me out of the way. But visiting people from your past that make you feel good is the right thing to do when you just don’t want to be around people who find reasons to complain or find things to be mad about all the time.  I was on a “happy” journey.  After discovering about my animal totem the hummingbird I realized I need to find more joy in my everyday living. 
Chandler Inn

Chandler Inn
I ended up at the Chandler Inn which was very quaint.  The breakfast was out of this world.  The blueberry French toast with almonds was to die for!  There were tiny black bugs in my room that were annoying but I chalked that up to just being up in the mountains.  Believe it or not, I passed FIVE golf courses on the way up that mountain.  I didn’t realize how many golf courses are on the top of mountains!  Since golfers have money, and there are five courses, although shocking to me, there was a hospital at the top of the mountain! In the middle of God’s country.

Bradley Creek Falls Inn
I did the same thing the next morning, sent out e-mails and the first one to call was the one that I went. I went to Bradley Creek Falls Inn.  A wonderful Bed and Breakfast with Innkeepers Denise and Robert..click here to get more information. I have to tell you that it’s a little scary going up the mountain that turns into a gravel road from a one lane paved road.  BUT the destination is worth it!  I’m staying for three days and have a local guide Craig Miller scheduled to give me a tour of some “Privately” owned waterfalls tomorrow morning.  Seven of them to be exact.  To get more info on Craig who I also highly recommend as professional, safe and honest click here. Please tell him, BJ recommended him.

Bradley Creek  Falls Inn also has its own waterfall that I will get to see the day after that.   On the way here, I stopped at the Whitewater Falls. 450 Ft drop that is absolutely breath-taking.  I picked up two teenage boys hitchhiking across America from Chicago to California. They were from Ireland. They are college students in Ireland studying Chemical Engineering and English Literature.  James and Jason I could just tell after seeing them in Cashiers walking and then two hours later seeing them walking in Brevard that they were International Students...truth is, they reminded me of Felipe.  I wish them well on their adventure as I knew what it felt like… I was on my own journey with Jesus at the wheel.
Bradley Creek Falls Inn
Sunset from Bradley Creek Falls Inn
When I arrived at Bradley Creek Falls Inn, I unpacked and  I took a shower in my bathroom.  I noticed a sign in the bathroom wall that said…The journey IS the reward!  It sure is. And it’s a happy journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment