Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 179- The Jury and Their Duty

My disclaimer right off the bat is I did not hear all of the testimony in the Casey Anthony case.  However that being said, I did listen to most of the trial and have heard it for three years on the news as I live one hour from Orlando.  One reason I registered to vote was that I always wanted to serve on a jury.  The right thing to do would be to serve my time as an objective juror if given the opportunity. I have been a registered voter for over thirty years and always reregister once I move and not ONCE have I been even called to serve on a jury.  Not even called in for a jury selection.

There are many things about this case that can appeal to any person. First the dysfunctional family.  We all have one.  If you think you don't, consider yourself living in a bubble.  That's why I loved the TV show Roseanne, as our house certainly wasn't like the show Leave it to Beavers!  Our house could have made a sitcom and it would have showcased my dad's absence called Leave the Little Beavers! I digress.  I also could relate to Lee, Casey's brother.  He was left out of a very big family event as was I.  Knowing that you are part of a family and then finding out later that the entire family knew something and kept you from knowing it too really hurts.  It makes you feel like you don't belong, it makes you realize that the people you are supposed to trust, you can't and if you can't trust your family, then you can't trust anyone else....until they have shown you they are trustworthy.  Trust = Time + Experience.

The second thing is the question of How?  How did this happen?  How did Caley die?  How did the parents cover it up?  The bottom line is nobody told law enforcement about her disappearance for over thirty days.  The third element is that the father was IN law enforcement, just makes you throw your hands up and ask again, how did this happen?

After listening to the tape played of Casey in the jail DEMANDING her mother to give her Tony Lazarro's phone number and then berating her mother with words like, "I saw your cameo performance today." just make you want to give her a taste of her own medicine.  Casey was in jail for God's sake and had no business demanding anything!  Unfortunately I have to say that Cindy the mother was an enabler.  Without punishment for these type of disrespect, our children will grow into monsters.  I believe Casey killed her own daughter, I believe Casey has never had any punishment for her lies and actions.  Now that being said lets look at the fourth thing about this case.  Was justice served?

Yes.  You may not agree with the verdict but I really respect what the prosecutor said at his post trial conference. "Listen, we may have not gotten the result that we wanted but in the end, the prosecution did their job, the defense did their job and the jury and judge did their job." he said.  It is how the system works in America.  I would have voted the same way as the jurors on every issue except for child neglect.  I think the evidence is there for this issue as defined by what I heard on the news.  But in the end the prosecution didn't prove (key words coming here) BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that she actually killed her daughter.  It is possible that someone else killed Kaley and Casey buried her.  This is where the neglect part should have been guilty in my thoughts as the one strand of hair was banded indicating it was from a decomposed body in the back of the trunk. And not reporting your own child missing for thirty days is neglect in any court of law. It is possible that someone else in the house used the duct tape.  She was NOT the only one who had access to this tape.  It was in her parents house.

If I had been on that jury, I would have in my naivete talked to the media afterwards but after seeing how the press would dog them, I understand their privacy.  I understand their need to be left alone.  They had ALL the facts, they sat there every day for six weeks and the bottom line was there was a small shadow of a doubt.  It is what it is.  I'm not worried though...just wait.  Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.  Casey will no longer have any privacy, her every move will be scrutinized.  She will be judged more by the people outside the courtroom and her life from this day forward than by the twelve jurors. I just pray that if I do become a juror that I can be as strong as each of them were.  They served their duty with dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment