Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 192 - Guerrilla Gardners

As I planted the sunflower seeds in my great grandparents plots in the small space allotted behind their headstones, I wondered if the seeds would even grow because the ground wasn't the fertile soil that potted plants are sold in the stores.  It was a red sticky clay.  It was damp but you could summarize that it didn't have all the right nutrients to help the seeds grow to their fullest potential.  I wished I had a seed bomb.

In the 1970's, guerrilla gardeners are a group of generally anonymous gardeners who throw clay-wrapped, compost-rich balls onto unsightly vacant lots, alleyways or around sidewalks.  These seed bombs explode into bloom.  These are a more effective way to plant seeds because seeds re very light and they can be blow away by the wind or birds can eat them.  The clay balls can be launched long distances and hold the seeds together with time released nutrients blended with the clay dirt. The eco-activists in the 1970's began to turn abandoned properties into productive and attractive areas to be enjoyed.

they are easy to make, click here for a specific recipe. The Seed Bombs can be made of homemade compost, humus, green manure, and tea and coffee waste as well as natural binding materials like waste paper pulp and clay.  The compost offers the nutrients for the seeds to germinate and grow strong during their infancy, and the clay binds the seed bomb, making it hard enough not to break when it hits the ground." says Josie Jeffrey, author of Seedbombs: Going Wild With Flowers.

Better than gum balls!
Advance forty years and we new have new vending machines that distribute the small slow-releasing seed transportors.  Imagine paying fifty cents for a dirt ball!  But kids love it.  If given a choice between teeth rotting candy and a chance to beautify the neighborhood and release some childlike energy, the right thing to do would be to buy a seed bomb.  Commonstudio is a manufacturer of these new sensation and gives us the dos and don'ts:

-Launch them at the right time of the year for optimum growing conditions
-Use the right seeds in the right locations
-Don't throw them into neighbor's gardens without their consent.  and don't use them in agricultural or sensitive natural areas where they could overpower edible or native plants.

As for me, I wish I had known about these miracle dirt balls before I got the cemetery.  I would have loved to have somebody come behind me and take a digital photo, e-mail it to me and let me see what had bloomed as a result of such a great idea.  For me, I'll just have to start making my own, to throw on the vacant areas that the banks have left due to possessing the homes from people who couldn't pay their mortgages.  Maybe we could invent dirt balls to throw at the banks that would bloom into flowers of conscience.  They sure would enhance the view.






Lets fight the filth with forks and flowers. ~ Richard Reynolds, On Guerrilla Gardening: A Handbook for Gardening Without Boundaries

No comments:

Post a Comment