Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 194 - Bread

How did the band Bread chose it's name?  The story is that they were sitting together at lunch and saw a bread truck drive by and compulsively and collectively decided that was to be their group's name.  Bread's had such hits as Baby I'm a Want you and Everything I Own.  This is a classic American band and there are people who just LOOOOOOVEEE their album with the same name Bread.  I think its great when you can find a favorite artist that just appeals to you.  The right thing to do is to share our songs with our friends.  Not like Limewire where it is illegal and it doesn't pay the artists properly but if an even exchange happens between friends.  A Barter system if you will.

Like in the old days, if you harvested corn, you could trade your corn with the farmer down the road who made bread.  I recently found out that my college professor makes his own bread.  I gave him a jar of my strawberry jam and asked him to taste it on his homemade bread.  I would like to try to do this and have found a great website to show me how.  It is called the Simple Dollar, click on the words and you can see this site.  It is healthier to make your own bread than eat all the preservatives that keep it on the shelves for weeks.  A healthy grain loaf of bread can run $2.50 on sale to $5.00 per loaf.  I try to go to the bread store as in this economy its the right thing to do to save money.


We have a bread outlet and they have what they call "green line" items.  If the wrapper has a green line on it, the same healthy loaf of bread is only $1.  If it doesn't sell that day, the next day a red line is put on it and it is only 50 cents!  I go down there about once a month and get bagels, english muffins, four loaves of bread, angel food cake and buns for hotdogs and hamburgers.  $55 worth of bread for the month for only $11.75!  So yes it is worth the $44 I save to drive out of town to get my bread.

I think it may cost more for me to make my own bread than to go to the outlet store.  But what if one day I invited you over to my house and we put on the Album Bread sung by the band Bread and played the song I want to Make it With You while we made the bread?

Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread to determine which side it is buttered on. ~Ambrose Bierce  




No comments:

Post a Comment