Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 210 - The Tootsie Roll Haircut

Recently our neighbor had an impromptu yard sale.  Through this we learned that Gale had moved in four months ago to help her mother who was in ill health. Her mother has since passed away and Gale has decided to stay in Florida.  We learned that she was a massage therapist.

The right thing to do is to get a massage.  Especially if you have never had one. The back and neck area in our bodies hold so much stress and tension that one can always use a massage.  A program that most people don't know about is that the technical institutes that teach massage therapy and cosmetology offer massages and haircuts for free in order for the trainees to get their required hours in.  It is a win win situation.  You get a free service like a massage, hair cut or pedicure and the students get their hours in. 

I remember when my oldest son got his hair cut.  It was one of those main street shops that had the traditional barber shop pole outside.  I had explained what we were going to do, at the age of three or so and we walked in holding hands.  The gentleman asked what if he could help us and promptly took over to my pleasure and amazement.  He was great with my son.  Soon Brandon was on a booster chair in the barber's chair and sitting as still as could be.  He was enjoying looking at himself in the mirror as the man gave him a great little boy's hair cut.  He was so grown up.  When he was done, the man gave Brandon a tootsie roll candy bar and Brandon couldn't have been prouder.  I paid the man and grabbed my son's free hand.  The other one was busy holding the candy.  We left and I told Brandon how proud of him I was that he was a big boy while getting his first hair cut.

Recently he called and asked how to change a flat tire.  He is a grown man now and I thought that he would have learned that in the Drivers Ed class he took in high school.  I know that I learned how to do that in my Drivers Ed class.  I explained where the spare tire should be and to look on www.youtube.com to see how to change a tire. He got a friend and headed to his car and changed the tire.  It felt good that he called his mother to ask how to do a traditional male-oriented task.  Of course so is taking a boy to get his first hair cut.  Traditionally, the father does this.  I guess since I didn't have a father, that I just looked at it as another thing to teach my son.  From Tootsie rolls to the role of Tootsie. The only difference is, I loved every minute of it; it wasn't a real drag.



Babies haven't any hair:
Old men's heads are just as bare;
From the cradle to the grave
Lies a haircut and a shave.
~Samuel Goodman Hoffenstein


No comments:

Post a Comment