Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 211 - Handkerchiefs and Cloth Diapers

Irish Handkerchief
As a little girl, I remember being given a handkerchief to wipe my nose when we went to church.  With the invention of Kleenex boxed wipes, these have seem to become an item of the past.  But as we become more conscious of the environment, handkerchiefs may make their way back.  The word kerchief is french for cover of the head.  Handkerchief is a cloth for the hand. At one time they were thought to be of less hygiene but if one washes them in a timely manner, this can save on the landfills.  The same thing with diapers.  When both my children were born, I had the service come that delivered, picked up and washed cloth diapers.  It helped with diaper rashes and I felt good about putting less feces and urine in the land fills.  The service is actually less money than one spends on disposable diapers and better for the babies skin.


I recently was doing research on handkerchiefs for this blog and I guess I learned more than I wanted to learn. As a result of my new found knowledge, I'm not sure what to say.  I originally wanted to tell you that handkerchiefs are the right thing to do because they save money and actually look nice.  After my research I have to add that if you have a "hanky" the way you display it could have connotations beyond your wildest dreams.  Let's just say that in the gay community and the S&M community, these items are indicators.  Indicators for whose on top and whose on the bottom if you know what I mean.  The color also indicates a preference of sadistic and gross nature. Of equal importance is if the handkerchief is worn on the right or the left back pocket, or the knot you tie is on the left or right side of your body.

Lady hankys
If only King Richard II of England in 1377 knew how the population would copy his lead and totally screw up a good thing. A square linen cloth to wipe my nose in public. Maybe I should start carrying around a cloth colorless diaper, no misinterpretations there. Or maybe to wipe up OTHER people's messes that aren't produced from their noses. So I'll just say that for me the right thing to do would be to keep the handkerchief in the spot where it has been for a long time.  And I will use it and wash it and put it back in a place that can't be interpreted for more than what it is. In my Bible. [This was a booger of a subject to write about.]

In his holy flirtation with the world, God occasionally drops a handkerchief. These handkerchiefs are called saints. ~ Frederick Buechner

No comments:

Post a Comment