Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 215 - Lead or Be Led

Sunday's message at church was about leadership.  I've often stressed to my children that leaders can be be born but often they are made.  As the first born, it is easy to be the natural leader but due to different types of personality, this may not always be the case.  Telling the younger siblings is not necessarily the sign of leading.  Leading is doing what you expect of others and motivating them to do the same.  I always do the first but it hasn't been until my latter years of life that I've been able to work on the second.  Motivating others can be difficult especially when they are very different from ourselves.  The key is to find what it is that motivates the people that you are leading.

Our pastor told us about the leadership conference that was being held via video conference in a local city and many people went.  He showed us clips from that conference and from different speakers.  I'd like to share with you some of the quotes that I found relevant and powerful:

For all those pessimists in the world aka the-glass-is-half-empty kind of folks, straight from the bible from Philippians 4:11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty or want; for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power. 

We are called to be happy in all circumstances.  Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.  They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

The perfect hero to exemplify this stewardship is Elizabeth Sharp.  She was kidnapped as a teenager and was held captive for nine months.  She stood tall and with dignity when testifying against the man who was evil.  She saw the light from the words in the Bible and walked the talk of the faith she believed. Truly the right thing to do through the most difficult of circumstances that I'm not sure I could have walk in her moccasins.

Let us stand, We don't get everything we pay for but we pay for everything we get. ~Cory Booker


We are all born originals and most die as copies. ~Abraham Lincoln

The difference between a visionary and a day dreamer is a visionary has the audacity to act and the faith to get started. ~ Seth Goden [the most famous blogger in the world]

Henry Cloud

There are three types of people in the world and at any given time we can be one of them.  Wise, Foolish and Evil [taken straight from Proverbs]. Henry Cloud writes about all these in his book Necessary Endings.  We were told to buy this book (I prefer to borrow it or get it for free) and if nothing else, read chapter 7.  I haven't read it.  But I've seen the light and I want to be wise so I will read it. I'm being led in order to lead later.  Who knows maybe I'm motivate somebody else. 

 Click here for the story of the church we attend. http://www.youtube.com/user/pc3online

*I'm proud of our foreign exchange students who are taking classes that are important to them.  Gabriele wants to make films and has taken TV Production class and he also his taking Spanish.  Malte is following in Felipe's footsteps so that he too can lead one day by taking the Aerospace, Military ROTC class on Leadership in addition to Community Problem Solvers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment