Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 217 - Cheers to Wine Glasses


One of the first things we learn when we are visiting with friends from other countries is how to say cheers when we toast before drinking alcohol.  It is a universal tradition.  We learned the Germans say Post.  The Russians say Chin Chin.  The Italians say Salute.  The Brazilians say Saute or Tim Tim.  There is even a website that tells you how to say "Cheers" in any language: http://www.awa.dk/glosary/slainte.htm#P  There is just something about having an alcoholic beverage to break the ice with people that are different than we are.

President Obama uses this technique when getting together people from opposite ends of the spectrum.  He has often stated that he really looked up to Abraham Lincoln and this was the same technique President Lincoln also used.  When I traveled to Gettysburg, it is this quote that caught my attention and that I bought a souvenir of trip.  "I am a firm believer in the people.  If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis.  The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." ~Abraham Lincoln.  There is some truth to that statement.  After a drink of alcohol (notice I'm not saying many drinks here as this would have the opposite effect) we are not so quick to be on the defense to defend our own positions but to be in a better position to open our ear canals which are normally closed.

There is something to drinking out or of a wine glass.  I know that I like grapes and wine so that this may be a prejudice or a particular liking to wine glasses for this simple reason.  The truth is, that there is an air of aristocracy to  drinking out of them.  Sometimes I cut a slice or two of lemon and pour my ice water and lemon into a wine glass.  I don't have a lot of money, but it is the right thing to do to brighten my day.  It makes me "feel" like I have more money than I have.  The other day I saw somebody who obviously thinks this way too.  A man was carrying his wine glass to the truck to leave for the day.  I noticed the drink in the glass that wasn't the usual color of wine or water.  He had poured his COFFEE in the wine glass.  Now that was taking my idea to a "whole 'nother level!"
I had to smile and just thought to myself Post!, Tim Tim!, Salute!, Cheers! as this was a great way to start the morning.  And to think I was just thinking about coffee cups and their meanings, this has brought my awareness of wine glasses to a new level.  I wonder if they have any wine glasses with basketballs or referee sayings on them?

Brazil, Germany, USA Flags
Here are a few photos to show  you what happens when you drink too much when you are in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee!  Salud!




Steve noticed that we don't wear shoes in Tennessee!
 
Rubber ducky......Crazy Germans!

A REAL man!
Most of us had Chocolate Masks on our face, but just like Sesame Street, there always has to be ONE that is NOT like the others!


No comments:

Post a Comment