Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 218 - What are the Chances?

We've all had our share of the immunization shots.  I remember standing in line in third grade to get my first immunization shot along with the other thirty or so kids from my classroom.  We all had to roll up our sleeves and they pressed this gun to the back of our shoulder blade.  We were forever scarred by this technique of immunizations but it was for a good reason.  It was better to be introduced to the tiny virus so that our bodies would create the necessary immunities to prevent us from developing the full blown disease that could kill us as children.  This had happened to many American children in the form of Polio or Rubella or Chicken Pox.  Something as simple as Chicken Pox could kill.  Its hard to believe.


I recently heard a story about a woman who got the childhood disease Chicken Pox as an adult for the second time.  They said the chances of that happening were one in 1,000,000. That is one million!  The lady ended up having to get a lobotomy, the removal of half of her brain and her parents were told that she would not live.  Not only did she live, she paints now and can talk and communicate fully.  Not at her full potential but having a different potential.  This is something I've always wanted to do, take a painting class.  So many of us who are analytical have had experiences that have made major changes in the brain and the right side of the brain begins to take over and many more creative ideas are developed as a result.


The lobotomy was one of a series of radical and invasive physical therapies developed in Europe in the first half of the twentieth century. These psychiatric innovations signaled a break with a culture relegating psychiatric patients to asylums, which had prevailed because most serious forms of mental illness were treated only unsatisfactorily by extreme measure, or as unamenable to treatment.

I'm thankful for this procedure not being so common particularly in the case of having chicken pox for a second time.  When I was a Public Relations Intern at the headquarters of Hammermill Paper Company (since bought by International Paper Company) I had to go into the public schools and talk to social studies classes and talk to students about an approved subject of my choice.  I decided to give speeches to the students ages ranging from 12-19 about self-confidence and the skills needed to make a good impression at a first interview.  It was very successful.

While coming in contact with these students, somehow I was exposed to the Chicken Pox and got it for the second time at the age of twenty-one.  It was so weird getting it the second time.  My sister had it so bad, she has a scar on her face to this day from her childhood exposure to this disease.  I had gotten by unscathed as a child. The red spots and subsequent scabs on my face were not the worst, it was the sores in my hair and in my mouth and throat that were the part that bothered me the most.  But in this case, I have to reframe this part and realize that it was better than having to have a lobotomy and that one in a million is a very special reference.  I'm special....now if I could only find my paintbrush. Should I play lotto tonight?


Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.  ~Judy Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment