Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 220 - Time to Make the Donuts!

Remember the commercial for Dunkin Donuts?  Time to make the dooooonuttttssss. Click here to view it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petqFm94osQ&feature=related  There is just something about donuts as a child that make you feel like everything in the world is right.  I remember when I was a child that Grandpa would buy donuts on Sunday morning and after we got home from church, we were given this treat as Grandpa laughed as we got powdered sugar on our noses.  He would be reading the paper and even though we could not see his face behind the paper, we heard his snickering.  He got such satisfaction from seeing us happy.

I guess that is why the first time my boys got a spanking from their dad, he put them in a car and rode to the doughnut shop and bought a dozen donuts.  He felt so bad he wanted to bring joy back into their life.  It was not a clear message of discipline and a consequence for bad behavior.  But I suppose it was more for his healing then for the boys.

In the North, Dunkin' Donuts is the place of choice. It seems that internationally, Dunkin' Donuts has the market also. But,in the South, Krispy Kreme is the place of choice.


Malte begged me to stop at Dunkin Donuts so that he could buy a doughnut, I obliged but told him that in America, particularly in the south that Krispy Kreme was more of the doughnut shop of choice.  I bought him and Gabriele each Krispy Kreme doughnuts and after eating these sugary delights, they were bouncing off the walls.  I sent them outside to ride bikes and they ended up playing basketball to burn off their extra energy.  Seems to me, I think Grandpa did the same thing to us after we ate all those donuts.  Then we promptly came in and took a nap...maybe that was why Grandpa was really smiling.


Time to make more doooonuuuttts!

“Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll. The optimist sees the doughtnut; the pessimist the hole!” ~Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment