Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 222 - The Illusion of Wisdom and Knowledge and Pink Moths

This sunday at church, the pastor's message was about wisdom. The reference to having wisdom and its the benefits that please God are endless in the Bible.  Particularly in the book of Proverbs 4:7-13

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her.

She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.

I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.

When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.

Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life. 


Knowledge is knowing something and Wisdom is knowing it, acting upon it and living it.  I know a lot of things but I must admit I'm not wise about many of those same things.  A recent event confirmed this.

An e-mail I opened asked me to with a link to a scientific model to show you that what you see isn't what you really see.  Click here to view it before reading the rest of the blog: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/amazing-shade-illusion-see-light-024226513.html  After viewing the science simulation I had to view it again.  Even after the second time, and squinting my eyes to make sure I hadn't missed something, I realized that it was an illusion and the brain sometimes plays tricks on itself.  It is a little alarming.  I know that I'm seeing something that isn't something it should be but I can't make my brain see the truth.  It is so illogical that it befuddles my tongue to find the words to describe the frustration I feel even trying to explain it.


It reminds me of the time I just came out of the grocery store.  As I walked to my car, I passed something bright pink on the concrete wall.  It stopped me dead in my tracks.  It was this bright pink moth with a black body and fuzzy black eyes. Sounds like I'm lying doesn't it.  I couldn't have seen such a thing, I thought this same exact thing so I returned to the store to ask an associate to come and witness it with me because I couldn't believe it myself.  Just as I was, the associate was stunned and had also never seen such a sight.  I didn't have a camera on me or my cell phone so the memory was my only reference.


For me the right thing to do is to research and find out what I saw.  I searched the images under the google image search for "pink moths."  Nothing.  I couldn't find anything for over a year.  After reading my latest issue of Birds and Blooms I read an article by Sally Roth who loves bugs and photographs them.  I thought, I'll e-mail an expert or fanatic which ever you prefer, and find out what that thing was. Before I sent the e-mail I tried one more time to search the internet and waalllaaaa.  I found one blog who obviously is a fan of moths. 
Click here to see it too: http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/-moths-and-butterflies-page-2-.html#A%20Butterfly?%20A%20moth?%20%28Banded%20sphinx%20moth%29


It is called a Spanish Moth.  Now armed with the correct name and its scientific name as well [Xanthopastis timais], I was able to find many photos.  Now you can see what I saw.  It wasn't an illusion after all.  Hopefully you can see what I mean by the shock of the mother nature's use of the colors pink and black with a paintbrush of vision. Next time however, I'm going to keep my cell phone with me to take a photo.  I'm thankful to God for his words of wisdom and his glory of his use of color.  As each day I live on this earth, I have more knowledge of the fact that the more I know, the more I realize that I don't know. 

A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance. ~Gian Carlo Menotti

No comments:

Post a Comment