Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 235 - We need More Cowbell!

We need more cowbell.

Click on the above link to view this Saturday Night Live (SNL) skit with Will Ferrell.  The first time we watched it, we just were laughing our @sses off (LMAO).  I didn't really understand the meaning behind the skit.  When I did a little research, I found out it was a parody on the Blue Oyster Cult's song Don't Fear The Reaper.  The producer had died that week and this was a tribute to him.  He was a difficult person to work with but he produced gold records.

The song was originally thought to encourage suicide.  But after researching, I found that Buck Dharma, the leading guitarists was talking about the inevitability of death and belief that we should not fear it.  The reference to Romeo and Juliet in the lyrics was not to support suicide but to use as an example of two people who believed they would be together after death.

Dharma explained in a 1995 interview with College Music Journal: "I felt that I had just achieved some kind of resonance with the psychology of people when I came up with that, I was actually kind of appalled when I first realized that some people were seeing it as an advertisement for suicide or something that was not my intention at all. It is, like, not to be afraid of it (as opposed to actively bring it about). It's basically a love song where the love transcends the actual physical existence of the partners."

He references "40,000 men and women" also in the song as this is the number of people who attempt to commit suicide  on a daily basis. Which leads me to the point of this blog.  Doing the right thing is believing in the beauty of death and the other side.  Not in a self-induced ending but in another inevitable reality of life.  I met a friend who had to shower her dad when her husband, her dad's son-in-law was unable to do the daily ritual.  Her father mentioned the embarrassing moment of it all for him.  He said, "I wish David was here. [her husband]" to which she replied, "Dad, so do I but he's not so for me this is life coming full circle." She cried with him and it was a beautiful moment.

Hearing her story, people often ask how she did it.  She said that it was only through the power of God.  It was with super human determination and not many hours of sleep.  Recently I met a relative of a friend who is eighty-five and she showed us her bell collection.  She showed us the cowbell her Grandfather had given her as a child and the bell she used to ring in her early days as a school teacher.  Now over seventy-five years later, she had a collection of bells.  My Grandmother also had a collection of bells and I want to know what started her collection.  I won't know until I get to the other side.  This is just one of the many many questions I have for her, my father and my grandfather.

The cowbell given to my new found friend was from the lead cow.  The one who led the herd of cows into the barn to get milked and fed and back out into the pasture when they finished.  A leader...as a nation, we need more cowbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment