Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 242 - Damn Yankees

If one is from the North and moves to the Southern states of the USA, the local southerners are sure to remind you that "You must not be from around these parts."  It is a common joke What is the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?  The Yankees came and left, the Damn Yankees have came and stayed.  There is a clear difference between the North and South as a result of our history of the Civil War. 

Stephanie Bastien in Oktoberfest garb
Now that we are hosting our second German Student who is also from the North of Germany, it has been confirmed that Germany has this same issue as well.  You know all those stereotypes we have of Germany?  Like a big mug of beer, Oktoberfest, the funny costumes we wear at these events etc?  Well I'm told this is Bravaria, the Southern part of Germany. 

The irony for me is I was told by a German parent that my favorite movie in the whole world, The Sound of Music, wasn't true.  I did my research and the story is indeed true but there are parts of it that are not.   But the irony didn't stop there.  This same German person loves our Gone with the Wind movie and country music.  Our Redneck culture and music is their Bravarian culture and music that we love as Americans. So each of us loathes our own south but loves the other's south!  The paradox is mind boggling.



This is my favorite quote from The Sound of Music: Mother Abbess: Maria, these walls were not meant to shut out problems. You have to face them. You have to live the life you were born to live. 


There is the  most famous quote from Gone with the Wind that most people know: Rhett Butler:
"Frankly, my dear. I don't give a damn." Which is how I feel about anyone who doesn't like my favorite Movie and to which most of us sing along to Adelweiss. 



But a few of the quotes that many may not know still apply now.  The first one applies to our ten year war which is sucking all of our money out of the economy.

Ashley Wilkes
"Most of the miseries of the world were caused by wars. And when the wars were over no one ever knew what they were about."

This one could describe the Americans who are without jobs now, who have lost their health insurance, their homes and just want to be able to live. 


  
Scarlett O'Hara ( Vivien Leigh ):
"As God as my witness. As God as my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over I'll never be hungry again nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill as God as my witness I'll never be hungry again."
        

No comments:

Post a Comment