Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 244 - True Grit - Are you willing to be a disciple?

Purple sweet potatoes, red cabbage and porkchops on the grill
In Church, the sermon consisted of what it meant to be a disciple.  What were the twelve disciples?  We know they were human and came from all walks of life, but what did they have in common?  I had never thought about being a disciple myself because I had the mindset of there were only twelve.  The husband and wife team that gave the sermon in our pastor's absence were trying to explain this to us.  Although the wife did most of the talking (I know most men won't be surprised by this), the husband said something that made sense.  He said a disciple was someone who was willing.  Willing to do the work. 

They used visuals of different types of grits to bring home the meaning of True Grit. They used food, sand, and sandpaper.  All different forms of grits.  Meaning do we have what it takes to just do the hard work and be willing to do it?  So many times I see my son who wants everything given to him.  He doesn't want to do the work it takes to get things done unless he convinces himself that it is worth something to him.  Sometimes the value comes from just having the experience, with no monetary or tangible reward.  It bothers me to tell you the truth.  It bothers me that with this mindset, he will not grow.  The right thing to do is to just jump in and do the work.  Be a disciple, be willing and learn about what you are capable and not capable of. 

Think of the slaves of our history.  They didn't have a choice.  They had true grit.  They became stronger as a result of this part of our history or in spite of it.  One of things I admire about the black culture is how they are able to make due with less.  They used what they had off the land.  They make fruit cobblers, sweet potatoes, tripe, and greens.  Things most people would not want to make or would wrinkle their noses at.

As I've gotten older, I noticed that these foods from the lands are more desirable to eat.  They don't make me feel bloated like cake or cookies do. And of course, there is always grits to eat if I so desire...I just have to be willing to eat them.


peach cobbler (yes I made it)

No comments:

Post a Comment