Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 260 - The Static is Not in Your Phone! Can You Hear Me Now?

I was on hold with a credit card company when I pulled up to pump my gas.  I had tried to finish this call prior to arriving at the gas station, but it was one of those control panels that kept on going like the Energizer Bunny.  Press 5 if you want to get off the phone, Press 7 if you are really disgusted with this menu and want to go now, Press 9 if you don't care anymore but can't afford to leave the menu due to so much time invested at the current point in time.

A lady came up to me and was emphatically motioning for me to not talk on my cell phone.  She whispered, so as not to interrupt my conversation, "Don't use the phone while pumping gas."  I waved her off.  How is this possible logically I thought to myself.  A wireless radio signal starts a fire?  Really?  Then why don't radios in cars start fires when you pump gas?  Recently I pulled up to pump gas again with my mother on the other end of the cell phone...turns out she had heard the same thing.

So I did my research on www.snopes.com.  A great resource to find out the truth about rumors.  Like the ones people send you in e-mails... FEAR.  Turns out that THERE HAVE BEEN NO CONFIRMED FIRES STARTED AT GAS STATIONS AS A RESULT OF SOMEONE BEING ON THEIR CELL PHONE.  ALSO NO DATA HAS BEEN COLLECTED THAT THEY ARE WOMEN MORE THAN MEN EITHER! So what makes me thing that a man started THIS rumor?

What has been determined is that most of these fires have been started as a result of a person getting back into the car after starting the pump, not touching the metal handle when getting back out to ground themselves and STATIC resulting from this vehicle return started the fire..then subsequent  explosion.  Oh, and CIGARETTES (lit) and leaving the car's motor running while pumping gas. Most men don't get back in their car when pumping gas.  Women unfortunately do....DONT!  The right thing to do is to stand there and take the fumes and waste of time like a man.  Literally. 
Or...if you want to do this like a woman, balance your checkbook during this time and multi-task as we usually do!  (no offense meant to the men reading this blog...just joking)


http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment