Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 282 - I AM

Recently on the OWN network, the documentary I AM had its debut.  Simply put, it is about a billionaire film producer, Tom Shadyac, who had everything, fancy cars, 3 homes in LA, NY and CO and didn't feel any happier with all this money.  He sold everything, after having a bicycle accident that caused recurring headaches.  He was inspired to make this documentary.  I AM is a must see for anyone who cares about the earth's sustainability and the inhabitants across the globe.


There are many keys to happiness in this documentary but the thing I found most interesting is the comment about Darwin.  We all know him as the man who coined the phrase, "Survival of the Fittest."  People interpret this to mean that the strongest is the the one most likely to survive.  Adaptability is also a key in this Darwinism philosophy.  What this documentary pointed out was that another item that is a key for survival is learning how to compromise and get along with others within and around your own species.

I know this theory well.  I remember when I was twelve years old I hated the local neighbor boy named Rusty.  He always was the "tough guy" and I was always the "tough girl."  He and I got into a shouting match once and he warned me that he was going to hit me.  I told him to go ahead.  I didn't realize at the time that boys were stronger physically and that I couldn't really fight.  So he popped my jaw.  A swift uppercut with his right hand. I was so shocked I just stared at him while I felt the burning of my skin and lower jaw.  My teeth had scraped together and I saw the other kids were just staring at my next reaction.  I just told him he wasn't a real man because he just hit a woman.

I grew up that day.  I needed that.  Sometimes our mouth runs and we realize that words cause people to react based on their own inadequacies.  I had obviously pushed a button and learned from this to stay away from bully boys.  Truth was I felt that he had been responsible for stoning our house.  At night, we lived on the end of a row of homes that was open to an open field.  Someone was hiding at night and throwing rocks at our home.  We had called the cops and they couldn't find anyone either.  My mother was the manager of the area and we would sit in the home at night scared to death.  We never did find out for SURE who it was, but after this incident with Rusty, the rock throwing stopped.  Coincidence?  I won't know.

But what I did learn is that all things are connected which is the theme of this documentary. Realizing this is imperative to how we process our own actions as well as others actions and reactions to ourselves.  So who is responsible for what is wrong with this world and who is going to do something about it?  I AM.  And who is responsible for what is right in this world and is doing something about it?  I AM

No comments:

Post a Comment