Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner

Nothing Finer than Living in North Caroliner
Blue Ridge Smoky Mountains

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Day 320 - Black Friday

I started late on the Black Friday shopping but really didn't go out with anything particular in mind.  Just was running my normal errands like going to the recycling, affectionately known around these here parts as the dump, dropping off a patch at the alterations store, which was closed because it's family owned, and buying some coffee at the local store for $13/lb because it's THAT good called the Neighbor Blend.  I think they call it that because when it percolates, the smell is so good, the neighbors come over!  As we returned to the car which was parked outside the local OP Taylors toy store, this young boy about the age of four came up to me and pointed a laser gun and kept simulating shooting me in the face!.  I asked, "Young man, please don't point that gun at me."  Which he returned fire one more time, at my FACE! I asked who APPEARED to be the adult with him, is this your son, to which the grown man on the cell phone replied, "No grandson."  and kept carrying on his important conversation while his grandson kept teetering on the edge of the sidewalk on the main intersection of the road.  I asked nicely, "With all the things that are going on right now, would you please ask your grandson to not point that gun at my head?"  To which he replied, "YOU MUST HAVE VOTED FOR OBAMA!"  This is the second time I've heard this in this part of the world.  The second time was when we went to a state park, and a man didn't pay his parking before leaving the car to go on the hike to see the waterfall.  We were eating lunch at the picnic table, so I kindly shared with him what was protocol as we all want the park maintained and want to continue to see the waterfall for free.  He responded, "YOU MUST HAVE VOTED FOR OBAMA!"  To this second man, I said, "I'm not sure where you're going with this sir, but the fact remains that we want to continue to be able to support the parks that as you can currently see sir, don't have a gate to make you pay parking anymore because they can't pay for forest rangers."  It is the right thing to do to just deposit the two dollars in the envelope provided as posted right here on the sign.  To which he grumbled and after a tugging from his wife on the elbow, obliged.
      To the Grandfather, I being my analytical self, tried to reason with the hologram of an adult.  I was clearly wrong but gave it an at-a-girl.  "Sir, who I voted for has nothing to do with the fact that your grandson is being encouraged to go around and point a gun with a blue laser at my head.  My cousin was shot in the head at the age of 20 while she was 4 months pregnant while she pleaded for her life. I don't appreciate this behavior."  All the time while the child continue to simulate guns sounds and keep shooting at me.  To which I got in my car and drove off as he continued spouting off about me not believing in gun control, etc etc.
He totally  missed the point.  In one instance, that man (and I use the word loosely here) taught his grandson hatred, irresponsibility and unaccountability.
     I have shot guns.  At the age of twelve, my uncle (the father of the cousin who was murdered) taught me how to shoot a pistol.  He lined up empty beer bottles, and taught me how to aim and shoot.  When we got done, he also taught me the power of a gun and what it could do and when and when not to use it.  And never ever point it at a person unless you want to defend yourself.  Now THAT is a man.  A responsible, accountable, man filled with love.  He probably didn't vote, I've never asked him.  But if he did he probably would have voted for Obama.  But what is the message here?  Every time you don't like something or agree with somebody, you want to bring your political views in front of the world?  Do you want to separate people by their political affiliation?  What he doesn't realize is he is really shouting, "I AM A LOSER, my candidate lost and now I'm a poor sport and I AM A POOR LOSER!" I think there is a bigger delineation drawn in the sand here. Actually there are two.  One is being a responsible parent.  Ask the parents of the Connecticut children murdered at New Town.  And the other is whether you are just being an butthole. And unfortunately buttholes have rights in America too.  It's a free country. And for the little four year olds who have Butthole Grandfathers who let them point laser guns at peoples heads they don't know and keep shooting them,  I wish I could carry a big super-soaker-water-gun around in the trunk of my car and shoot them back!

http://www.pbs.org/parents/raisingboys/aggression05.html

Point number 4:
Kelley Columber, a mother of two from Blue Hill, Maine, agrees: “We have foam-ball popper guns, nothing assault weapon-looking.” She adds that reminding kids about proper toy gun etiquette is key: “We don't point at faces or at people who ‘aren't playing.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment